Moderator: Sematary

Sematary

What's your favorite non Doom game?

Postby Sematary » Wed May 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Personally, I am a huge fan of Quake 4. Thought it was awesome!. :D

silentzorah

Re: What's your favorite non Doom game?

Postby silentzorah » Thu May 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Sematary wrote:Personally, I am a huge fan of Quake 4. Thought it was awesome!. :D

The original Quake, hands down. Still holds up today.

Sematary

Postby Sematary » Thu May 26, 2016 7:14 pm

The original was good but the graphics are a little rough and really, using the Doom3 engine, Quake 4 kicked ass

silentzorah

Postby silentzorah » Thu May 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Sematary wrote:The original was good but the graphics are a little rough and really, using the Doom3 engine, Quake 4 kicked ass

Graphics might be a little rough, but I don't know anyone that plays it for the graphics. ;)

Sematary

Postby Sematary » Fri May 27, 2016 1:47 am

silentzorah wrote:
Sematary wrote:The original was good but the graphics are a little rough and really, using the Doom3 engine, Quake 4 kicked ass

Graphics might be a little rough, but I don't know anyone that plays it for the graphics. ;)

That sir, is TRUTH. First ACTUAL 3D game. Hell ya!

Vordakk

Postby Vordakk » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:42 am

Depends on mood really. I like Heretic and Hexen a lot, and I've made a number of maps for Heretic. I also thought Hexen 2 was pretty cool, as I am a fan of puzzles and that game had some tricky ones.

I really like the first Quake as well. When you use the Darkplaces engine, combined with a high-resolution texture pack, it really looks fantastic, at least to these eyes. I like Quake 2 as well, but not as much as Quake. Quake 3 is basically multiplayer only, and since I don't do much multiplayer I never really got into that game. Both Prey and Quake 4 were games that I only played through once, and for me once was enough. I definitely prefer older FPS games to the newer stuff on the whole.

I've played through Strife two or three times, and honestly it's not as cool as it could have been. Parts of it drag on too long, at least for me.

silentzorah

Postby silentzorah » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:31 am

Vordakk wrote:Depends on mood really. I like Heretic and Hexen a lot, and I've made a number of maps for Heretic. I also thought Hexen 2 was pretty cool, as I am a fan of puzzles and that game had some tricky ones.

I really like the first Quake as well. When you use the Darkplaces engine, combined with a high-resolution texture pack, it really looks fantastic, at least to these eyes. I like Quake 2 as well, but not as much as Quake. Quake 3 is basically multiplayer only, and since I don't do much multiplayer I never really got into that game. Both Prey and Quake 4 were games that I only played through once, and for me once was enough. I definitely prefer older FPS games to the newer stuff on the whole.

I've played through Strife two or three times, and honestly it's not as cool as it could have been. Parts of it drag on too long, at least for me.

DarkPlaces was pretty sweet for me, up until I upgrade my RAM. Now I get this odd shimmering/flickering effect on large maps, where parts of the geometry flip the frag out. I switched to QuakeSpasm after that. Yeah, it lacks all the extra lighting and stuff that DP uses, but... It's got the oldschool water warping that DP doesn't support.

That, and it's got some sort of "smart" interpolation, so you don't have the muzzle flash jumping barrels on the nailgun, and the axe swinging animation is pretty smooth.

So I'm good. :P

Sematary

Postby Sematary » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Vordakk wrote:Depends on mood really. I like Heretic and Hexen a lot, and I've made a number of maps for Heretic. I also thought Hexen 2 was pretty cool, as I am a fan of puzzles and that game had some tricky ones.

I actually Liked Quake 4 alot. Most games are a one and one for me anyway but that was one of those ones that I know I'll go back to just because it was so much fun. It was really interesting, knowing that it was the exact same engine as Doom 3, how much more could be done with it. They really underused the engine in D3, imo.

Fonze

Postby Fonze » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:23 am

Hell yeah man; Heretic all the way ^^

I remember enjoying the Heretic map set you linked to me a little while back. (Also, good job on that MAP21 Nirvana remake, fun stuff)

Vordakk

Postby Vordakk » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Fonze wrote:Hell yeah man; Heretic all the way ^^

I remember enjoying the Heretic map set you linked to me a little while back. (Also, good job on that MAP21 Nirvana remake, fun stuff)

Thank you sir! I also contributed a yet unseen Heretic map to a project called The Ending Quest, which will probably come out next year (hopefully).

Return to “Other ID Games”